Read Oscar Trivia, Part 1 to learn about the oldest and youngest Oscar winners along with some general Oscar trivia. (Note: A few of the achievements below have become obsolete after Academy Awards 2012.)
Personal Oscar trivia - most Oscars won and most nominations
- Walt Disney is the individual with the most Oscars ever won and at the same time with the most Oscar nominations ever. He has 22 standard Oscar wins (plus 4 Honorary Awards) and 59 Academy Award nominations.
- Walt Disney is also the person with the most Oscar nominations in a single year: six in 1954, for 6 different films. He won 4 Academy Awards that year, which is also a record for the most Oscars won by an individual in a single year.
- The most Oscar nominated living person is composer John Williams with 45 nominations. He has 5 wins out of these. Another composer, Alfred Newman, also had 45 Academy Award nominations (with 9 wins), including 4 nominations for 4 different films in 1940. It is worth noting that back then the Academy would give out as many as 14 nominations in some categories and also there were categories for both Original Score and Scoring.
- Sound guy Kevin O'Connell has the most Oscar nominations without a single win ever: twenty.
- The director with most Oscars won is John Ford. He has four Academy Awards.
- The director with most Oscar nominations is William Wyler: twelve (3 wins).
- Leon Shamroy and Charles Lang have the most Academy Award nominations for cinematography: 18. Shamroy has 4 wins and Lang has 1 win. Shamroy holds the record for the most wins for cinematography together with Joseph Ruttenberg.
- The actor with the most nominations is Jack Nicholson (12). He and Walter Brennon have 3 wins each. All 3 Brennon's awards though are for Best Supporting Actor while Jack Nicholson has 2 Oscars for Best Actor. Thus, Nicholson is also among the nine actors having the most Academy Awards for Best Actor. The other 8 people having 2 Oscars in the category of Best Actor in a Leading Role are Spencer Tracy, Fredric March, Gary Cooper, Marlon Brando, Dustin Hoffman, Tom Hanks, Daniel Day-Lewis and Sean Penn.
- The actor with most Academy Award nominations for Best Actor without ever winning is Peter O'Toole. He has been 8 times Oscar nominee in the category. He also holds the record for the longest (44 years) span between his first and last Oscar nominations.
- The actress with the most Oscar nominations is Meryl Streep (16, with 2 wins).
- Katharine Hepburn is the actress that has the most Oscars won: 4 (out of 12 nominations).
Movie-related Oscar trivia
- The movies with most Oscar nominations ever are All About Eve and Titanic. They both have 14 nominations.
- The movies with most Oscars won are Ben Hur, Titanic and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. They have 11 Academy Awards each.
- Three movies have won the Big Five Awards in one year. The "Big Five" are the awards for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and either Best Adapted Screenplay or Best Original Screenplay. These movies are It Happened One Night, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Silence of the Lambs.
- The first animated feature to be nominated for Best Picture was Beauty and the Beast in 1992. Since then, there have been only 2 other animated films nominated for Best Motion Picture of the Year - Up in 2010 and Toy Story 3 in 2011. (Criticism of this year's Best Animated Feature nominees)
- Two movies, The Turning Point and The Color Purple, are tied for most Academy Award nominations (11) without winning a single Oscar.
Read about other people with several Oscar nominations but without a single Academy Award won or browse our Review Maze for more movie articles.